Tuesday 1 October 2013

- Insert Knitting Pun Here -

I've mentioned before that I love knitting, but hate sewing up hand-knitted garments  - I'm never quite satisfied with the final look. I started this cardigan a while ago:

Emu 2638. I made the cardigan on the girl in the foreground; I was put off making the jumper because of the evil look on the model's face!

I've finished it and guess what? I'm actually pleased with it! Here it is:


I used Millamia Naturally Soft Merino in Midnight, which knitted up quickly and smoothly, and looks great on the lacy panels on the front:




 I find it hard to follow a pattern to the letter, and always meddle with it; this one was no exception. The back was supposed to be knitted plain, but I added a lacy panel to the centre back:


I also made the sleeves a few inches shorter than recommended - I almost always push them up, so I thought I'd save time and just not knit that extra length.

I almost never button a cardi up, but I had some cute little buttons that I really wanted to add:


This is probably the only time you'll see it buttoned up because when it is, it's SO HOT, as in really, REALLY warm:


*The following will only mean anyhthing to you if you can knit* The reason this one went together well was down to the fact that I knitted a rib at the the side of each piece where a seam was intended. ie the first 2 sticthes ofa row would be k1, p1. This meant that when it came to sewing up time, there was a ready-made 'guide' for stitching the pieces together. I'll definitely be using this technique for future knits as it worked really well.

But that's not all I've been knitting; here are some socks I finished :

 
This is only my second pair, but socks are so much fun to knit! I can totally understand why there are so many books devoted to the subject - I definitely intend to knit more!

And that's not all - I also made this headband out of stars which I knitted out of scraps of lurex thread, then attached to a piece of elastic.


The pattern for the stars was from an old Christmas issue of 'The Knitter'.
 
Those are my knitted bits and pieces. There's another cardigan on my needles which hopefully I can share with you soon!

14 comments:

  1. I'm so pleased that you're happy with your knit! As a fellow knitter I know just how deflating and frustrating it is to find something isn't quite right after all that effort. I know the same thing can happen when we sew, but knitting seems (to me) to have more invested in it...all those thousands of stitches...all that time (although in my case the time maybe doesn't count terribly, as I would have been sat on the sofa, inert, in any case!)

    Great idea on how to make sewing the seams feel less of an evil chore. Seaming is horrid.

    Hand-knitted socks are one of life's small pleasures. And your headband is very covetable. Super cool!

    But I forgot to say I think your cardigan looks fabulous! It does!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely knits. The definition on the wool in the pattern panel looks great. Thanks for the rib tip, so are you taking the stitch between the knit and the purl when you so up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right - it acts like a little ready-made seam guide. You just put the edges together and sew in the 'ditches' created by the column of rib.

      Delete
    2. This is brilliant. I'm going to steal this idea from now on too!

      Delete
  3. It looks great! I love the buttons.

    A lot of old patterns (and some modern European ones) use a selvedge stitch, where you slip the first stitch in every row. It makes it easier to see, so making up is easier. It's a good technique if you're making something from particularly fine, dark yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so so talented! I've never quite got the hang of knitting but would love to be able to as I can never find the cardigans that I want on the high street. I've got a friend who can knit so I'm always getting her to make stuff for me! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff Nicole, very jealous, I wish I was better at knitting! Love your headband especially.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gah, the cardigan is beautiful...what cute buttons!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your knitting is beautiful. I love the panel on the back of your cardigan. Adding a rib to the sides of the cardigan is a great idea, I'll have to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's a beauty of a cardi! the socks and headband are so lovely too - I'm on my second knitted headband for my daughters, it woefully amateur, and on learner needles but I'm hoping the addition of a bow will make it all ok! x x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cardi is lovely and I really like the finish. I have some Millamia in bright green and wondered how it knitted up; now I know :-) I've always fancied giving socks a go, but the 4 needles put me off :-/ !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely give socks a go - they're so satisfying and surprisingly quick. Looking at your previous work, you could definitley do it! And the 3 or 4 needles is easy - I love knitting that way because you never have to knit the 'wrong side'!

      Delete
  10. Cor! You've been busy! Great knits, especially the cardie and those ladybird buttons are the perfect finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this Mrs Needles! You are my hero when it comes to knitting.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!